Friday, February 4, 2011

Let there be blog!

The question of where to begin is always a difficult one.  In fact, it probably stumps more would-be writers than many other problems.  I do know that in my case, where to begin is actually not that difficult in this case, since I don't really have a purpose here.  You could say that, at the moment at least, this is a "blog about nothing!"

I do know that the question of WHEN to begin got a little more interesting as I watched The Social Network for the first time last night.  (BTW, although it didn't really have an ending, I thought it was an excellent and entertaining movie.)  Anyways, without really giving anything away, the movie opens with the main character, Mark Zuckerberg of facebook-founding fame (say that five times fast!), getting dumped by his girlfriend.  In an angry, semi-drunken state, he goes on to blog some very nasty things about said girl, which eventually starts the entire plot train down the tracks.

So, in light of that, sitting down to start a blog about nothing in particular seems like it could be a dangerous, egotistical sort of action.  I'm slightly conflicted about it.  Of course, I am not really planning on getting drunk and posting things of anything approaching a personal nature on here, so I suppose this doesn't really apply to me much.  However, in the discussion we had after the movie, my wife and I really wondered if the existence of things like blogs and facebook has been to the detriment of our society's ability to actually interact socially with people.  And by that I mean in person.  It seems to me that the existence of all of these tools for keeping in touch/meeting people online equates to us being much lazier in our own "real life" social interactions.  Which I suppose was exactly the type of thing that the producers/directors of The Social Network wanted us to think about.

In any event, I plan on posting content here fairly regularly, but I'm not gonna make any promises.  I have vague plans to do some easy posting series like re-watching all of the Star Wars movies or Buffy the Vampire Slayer episodes and commenting about those, and I'll probably post about sports periodically.  We'll see.  Generally, I'm just hoping to use this as a forum to make myself think about things and write something about them.

If you're reading this and NOT my wife or mother, thanks!  (Thanks to you too, Mom and Sarah)

No comments:

Post a Comment